6.11.2012

hello there

Here it is...  My very first post.  After much thought, I've decided to start a blog about my work and about life in general.  I hope to offer something of value, to inspire and to connect with you. Thank you for finding your way to my blog!


I've been a self-professed paper dork all my life.  Instead of playing with dolls as a child, I played with pen and paper.  I would sit for hours practicing my handwriting and have always been enamoured with letter forms. 


I'm also very passionate about quilting, fabric and sewing.  I learned to embroider and sew as a very young child.  My grandmother taught me what she knew and I've carried it throughout my life.


This past Sunday was my birthday and I had a full weekend of scribbling and experimentation.  I also completed a custom birth announcement for a client and just picked up a wedding project that I'm so eager to get started on! 


Why Tine and Thread?  The tine refers to the part of a calligraphy pen that flexes and allows the ink to move freely.  The thread is about my love for embroidery and sewing.  If it weren't for learning to use those two tools for my creative outlet, what kind of person would I be?  I often think about that.


It's also about the fact that I come from a family that made a living working with their hands.  My father and grandfathers are the type that can build anything.  My great-grandfather built his basement, a garage and added 6 bedrooms to his home, with just his tools and hands.  My grandmother was a painter and an accomplished seamstress.  She loved to sew and create. 


The lesson for me was that I could do anything, even things that seem impossible, if I just learn how.  It's very simple really, but it's been very powerful for me as I've walked my way in life.


 


DSC00114



No comments:

Post a Comment