11.11.2012

i miss you, mamaw

With my sister at her nursing graduation in 2006

On the far right.  Loving that pinafore and the hair!

One of my favorite photos of her

Looking fabulous in the '50's

Rockin' that tube top and sunglasses.  Proud of her flower, I'm sure.

Four years ago on November 14th, I lost my Mamaw - my grandmother, my best friend and the greatest teacher I've ever had during my 33 years on this earth.

She taught me how to can, sew, knit, crochet and raise a garden.  She taught me how to quilt.  She taught me how to be a lady and she taught me all about respect.  She taught me how to walk with a heavy book on my head, for perfect posture, of course.  She taught me the importance of dressing well and that my shoes should always match my purse.  She taught me about God's love and she stepped in to take care of me when others couldn't.  She taught me to "stick with it" no matter what and to never, ever give up.

I know she's in a much better place now.  She suffered from a rare form of kidney cancer that spread to her bones.  She was in so much pain at the end and being a Christian woman, she was ready to go.  She spoke about dying like she was going on vacation or a big cruise.  The last time I saw her, she was planning her funeral with my sister.  She was smiling and laughing and had her pink suit picked out for the burial.  It was surreal...  She was talking about her funeral, the songs she wanted sung and the outfit she wanted to wear.  I was so broken knowing that I was loosing her, but comforted knowing that she was at peace with moving on.

It was the first snow in the mountains back home when they laid her to rest.  I remember it like it was yesterday and I still miss her every day.  Mamaw, it pains me to know that you never held my son in the physical world, but I'm sure you held him before he was born.  I know you're smiling down at us and I hope I've made you proud with what I've done with my life.   

2 comments:

  1. Tara, this was so beautiful. I am typing this with tears running down my face. She was a strong, amazing woman and when I get married and have children one day i will tell them stories about her and all the times we shared. I think about her alot too and i know she will always be with me. I am so thankful that she watched me grow up and will always hold a special place for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kirstie. I know she was always so proud of you and loved you very much from the time you were born.

    ReplyDelete